I first made this yummy drink (that dare I say tastes more like a treat) almost a year ago after E and I went on an early spring hike….He really liked it then and holy smokes, he really really liked it this morning! (I’m not sure why I haven’t made this since then…it’s a way bigger hit with my little guy than the berry smoothies I typically make!) He gulped it down in record speed, singing the whole time! (He sings when he’s really enjoying what he’s eating, and he’s done this since he was first introduced to food! Be still my heart!)
It’s really easy to make and super healthy too! I use applesauce that I made in the fall with fruit from my mom’s trees (since our trees are still very young and only produced a few apples last year!) so no sugar added! Making applesauce is so easy and it’s nice to know that the only ingredient is apples! You could also add a tbsp of flax, chia or hemp seed if you have it on hand too to bulk up the nutrition. We kept it pretty basic this morning!
Here’s how I make it for my little guy and me:
- about 1 1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy, it makes no difference!)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 3 tbsp oatmeal (I use old formula scoops in my flour and oat canisters for a simple hack!)
- 1/2-3/4 cup-ish frozen applesauce
- a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie or apple pie spice (or just plain old cinnamon if that’s all you have!)
- Blitz everything up in your bullet or blender and enjoy! Hopefully you have someone special to share it with too!