Cheese is quite simply always a crowd pleaser. Ooey, gooey, melty Guinness infused cheese is on a whole new level. I encourage you to whip up a pot of this molten goodness, chop up some of your favourite dippers and invite some of your favourite people over to cheers to THE best day of the year, St. Patrick’s Day. Wear something green and crack open a few cans or bottles of Irish Stout and you have a party worthy of even Murphy himself!
Here’s how you make it:
- 1/2 can (ish) Guinness
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 heaping Tbsp dijon
- 2 Tbsp flour (or cornstarch)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups grated swiss
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup processed cheddar like velveeta or cheese whiz (or even cream cheese)
- Salt and pepper
- a pinch of cayenne (optional)
- In an electric fondue pot or a cast iron pot, melt the butter and saute the green onions. Add the dijon and flour and cook slightly. Add the Guinness and whisk until there are only ‘onion lumps’.
- Whisk in the heavy cream and cheeses. Stir until melted and combined and season with salt and pepper to your taste. Add cayenne if desired
I served mine with some yummy crisp green vegetables (broccoli, snap peas, celery chunks), sliced sausage and pretzels. Fresh bread or soft pretzels, ham and corned beef would be delicious as well. Enjoy with cold beer or sparkling wine and be sure to toast to St. Patrick and the good of Ireland. Once again I say “Slainte”!!!